Tuesday, October 23

Anatomy of a day

7:00 - My alarm goes off, I open and close my cell phone to turn it off.

7:30 - My iMac starts playing my "Songs I generally listen to" playlist. I'm pretty sure it starts with Matchbox Twenty.

9:00 - The second alarm I set for myself goes off. Switchfoot is playing.

9:07 - I finally decide to get up out of bed when "Gone" by Switchfoot starts up.

9:12 - I get to the bathroom. Its dispenser is still out of soap, as it has been for over a week now.

9:30 - I get out of the shower as Chet walks in. He tells me that I should tell an RA or Tolu about the soap.

9:33 - I get my pants on and walk out of the bathroom just as Tolu walks in. I inform him of the soap.

9:35 - I walk back into my room. "Upside Down" by Jack Johnson.

9:37 - I put my contact lenses in and put on deodorant. I shuffle through the shirts in my shirt drawer and pick out the Doane College one. I don't look half bad in orange.

9:40 - Something compels me to update Growl on my iMac. I do so, and then spend a bit of time screwing with its functions.

9:50 - I realize that if I want breakfast today, I need to book it to the coffee shop. I bring my iPod along. "The Remedy" by Jason Mraz.

9:55 - I make it into the Common Grounds in time to get a peanut butter muffin and a mocha blend smoothie. "Kiss From a Rose" by Seal.

10:00 - I get back to the dorms just in time for Scrubs. It's a commercial, so I take the opportunity to get the paper on which this was originally written and my photojournalism book. "Big Yellow Taxi" by Counting Crows.

10:05 - Scrubs is back on. "My Malpractice Decision" and "My Female Trouble."

10:15 - My stomach starts its rebellion again, marking the fourth consecutive day of GI trouble since I added more fiber to my diet.

10:57 - I head to work-study to cover for Jess. On the way out, I discover that sometimes it is just easier to expel things from your mind. Then I reflect on "Loves me, loves me not," and wonder if its accuracy is to be always trusted.

11:03 - I get to the library, and then go to the bathroom.

11:15 - I catch up on what I've been doing today.

11:20 - I help an old man by changing quarters for a dollar.

11:35 - I finish catching up, and start listening to my iPod again.

11:37 - I crack open my photojournalism book to start studying for tonight. "Open Arms" by Journey.

12:35 - I finish chapter one and consider lunch, transferring, and meeting with Jeff. "Here's to the Night" by Eve 6.

12:50 - The next person on duty arrives. Now to lunch. "Into the Ocean" by Blue October.

12:59 - I set my breaded chicken sandwich down next to my sun chips and drink. Immediately, I go to Academic Support to see if I can get a transfer thing going.

1:02 - The woman I need to talk to is in a Safe Space Training seminar. My heart smiles, and I go to get my mail.

1:05 - There's a reminder to help with the blood drive, a packet of the available interterm classes this January, and a form for off-campus cultural events in my box.

1:11 - I finish my sandwich and return the form to the Academic Support desk. The woman I need to talk to is still not back. "Be Yourself" by Audioslave.

1:15 - My iPod reminds me of my meeting with Jeff. Off I go. "Dare You To Move" by Switchfoot.

1:25 - I make a pitstop in my room to drop off my coat, photojournalism book, chips, and mailbox stuffers. I pick up a notebook with a hard cover, and my cell phone. No new calls since I put it on the charger. "Nowhere Near" by Summercamp.

1:30 - I arrive outside of Jeff's door. On the way over, I see a guy running in a bit of a baseball outfit, and am reminded of the assignment in photojournalism I have yet to attempt. "Crazy" by Alanis Morissette.

1:34 - I decide to check up on the news. "Breathe" by Anna Nalick.

1:47 - Jeff comes to talk to me after I've been waiting. The problem is what I thought it would be: American Government. "Hallelujah" by John Cale.

1:52 - Chet comes into the office. I scare him away with my awesome machismo.

1:55 - I leave Jeff's office for Dr. Hill's. He isn't in at the moment, so I remind myself to go down again Wednesday afternoon. "Life is a Highway" by Rascal Flatts.

1:58 - I go to the SLO again to declare my intention to transfer at the semester. "Are You Happy Now?" by Michelle Branch.

1:59 - I run into Dr. Hill outside of the SLO, and walking back to his office, he informs me that my debate paper will schew my grade greatly. He also tells me that my study habits may be lackluster now that I'm not in high school anymore. My idea to have him think I'm a freshman continues to amuse.

2:10 - I leave Dr. Hill's office and get back to my room.

2:13 - I sit at my desk and continue to chronicle.

2:26 - Now to get that sports photo. "Higher Ground" by Red Hot Chili Peppers.

2:38 - I am reminded of the basis behind my passionate hatred of sports and sports photography. The smell of cinnamon reminds me of my cookies. "Yesterdays" by Switchfoot.

2:43 - I run across my fourth student tour of the day. Walking past, I can't help but think what fun it would be to etch "RUN" in red ink on multiple scrawls of paper and leave them where I know touring students would find them.

2:46 - I grab some fiber cookies.

2:58 - I recall the presence of an airport in Crete, and stakeout for skydivers. "Move Along" by All-American Rejects.

3:08 - I snap a photo of two joggers. Not what I had come for, but whatevs. "Someday" by Nickelback.

3:18 - I get back to my room and watch an episode of Avatar before voice seminar. "She Will Be Loved" by Maroon 5.

3:52 - Avatar is still awesome, but now for the seminar.

4:03 - I get to the seminar, which Hannah Jo Smith promises will be short.

4:12 - We get out of the seminar, but not before Hannah Jo frightens my soul to its core.

4:15 - On the way back to the dorm, Tyler tells me about how one of his voice lessons with Hannah Jo was nothing but him exploding over a ton of pent-up emotions, and then crying. I suddenly realize just how strong our will to pretend that we aren't bothered by something can sometimes be, and how unhealthy it is to let those emotions all come out at the same time. Yet we all engage in the act of pretending that things don't get to us. Chekov! How right Chekov was!

4:21 - I start typing an article for American Govt.'s class tomorrow. "Poison Kiss" by The Last Goodnight.

4:49 - I finish typing my article. In printing it out, I run into Aaron Holmes, whom I try to help set up his computer to print from Frees lab. We fail.

5:00 - Aaron, Ben-Kaye, and I go to eat in the caf. We run into other AπEs there and discuss interterm options.

5:35 - I find myself unable to eat another bite of my pizza. Most of the AπEs have left, so I go to get an ice cream cone and sit with Liz, Zach, and Chanel.

5:45 - After regaling Liz and Zach with what happened today, I feel a MIGHTY NEED to use the bathroom once more.

5:50 - I go to the bathroom, but see Ben-Kaye and Aaron playing billiards, and decide to photograph them for my sports assignment.

6:00 - I go to the bathroom. It doesn't feel good.

6:10 - I head back to my room after photographing Aaron and Ben-Kaye at fußball.

6:15 - Off to rehearsal. My stomach is still sick.

6:27 - I get to the Con. I go to the bathroom.

6:54 - I begin getting actual staging in Arabian Nights. I don't have my script on me tonight. I lost it between yesterday and today.

6:59 - I go to photojournalism class. Midterm today. Hoorah.

7:07 - Richard hands out the test to Layne and I.

7:25 - I finish bombing the test.

7:54 - Class is dismissed. I hang out for a second.

9:19 - Rehearsal is done for the night. I go back to my room.

9:30 - I make it back to my room and log onto Adium for the night. I might do my German homework (and by might, I mean should), but today was way too hectic...

No comments: