Saturday, March 24

The problem with Lincoln

I'm a typically closed-off individual. I don't like to directly explain what's happening in my life as much as I like to observe how I feel about those things. Okay, so maybe calling myself "closed-off" is a poor choice of words. I don't talk in great detail about the things people around me are doing. I don't gossip.

That's my general rule, at least.  Something happened last night, though, that sees me breaking that rule right now, because there's an important lesson to be had out of it.

Here's the scene: I was hanging out with my friend and we decided to go to the Q.  I had been talking with a guy named Jeremy online for a few weeks since the last time I was there and we decided it'd be nice to say hello in person, so that was an item on the agenda for this visit. The other item was to drink lots of cheap beer.  So, my friend and I arrived at the Q and got our Solo cups of the stuff, and began imbibing.  After a little of my drink, I went over to say hello to Jeremy, and I made my acquaintance with him and his friend Christina.  I didn't much know what to say, but we talked about how the drag show motif is really tired at this point, and how there should be karaoke at least some time at this place and it was a rather enjoyable, if short, chat.

What I didn't mention yet is that the ex was there, sitting just a couple seats away and keenly aware of the fact that I was talking to this guy (whom, as far as I know, he doesn't know).  After I went back to sit down with my friend, out of earshot, but with a direct line of sight back to where Jeremy was sitting, the ex took the liberty of walking up to Jeremy and pointing at me across the bar while expressing (with great emphasis on the word) that I'm crazy.

I found this to be, what they call in civilized culture, a total lame-ass below-the-belt dick move that only the most gargantuan of assholes would ever do.  But instead of relating that to my ex, I watched him sit back down, then went back over to Jeremy, shrugged, and told him that the gargantuan asshole and I used to date, and that he was still bitter about the way it ended.  Jeremy spoke to me again later in the night, and we laughed about it.

So here's the lesson I want to impart on you, the gentle reader: don't be a total dick and try to sabotage your ex's attempts to make new friends.  It's really not cool, and will probably get you blogged about.

1 comment:

Oliver Reeve said...

He's made the decision to be petty and immature. Obviously you don't have to retaliate in the same manner, but it is helpful to just vent out these kinds of frustrations no matter the form.